CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Have your Hamburger and eat it too!

I don't think that I'm the only Mom that has trouble getting their kids to eat their veggies! After some medical issues that have came up with my son about 8 months ago, I've tried very hard to make some healthier changes in our diet....more veggies!
My son LOVES his hamburgers & french fries...I don't know why...I mean, we only eat at a fast food restaurant once a year [insert sarcasm here]. So my latest attempt was to make one of his favorites in a healthier way.

Here is the result:


Now, you might say....I don't see alot of veggies! Well, if I put veggies on his burger, he will not eat it...I know that is probably my fault :P So my latest experiement involved lean ground beef, an onion, a carrot, and several handfuls of greens (mixed spinach, cabbage, spring mix salad). First I ground the veggies in a food processor, mixed in with lean ground beef, seasoned (Mrs. Dash, pepper, and worschester), and cooked like a normal hamburger!

The result was....yum!!! So tasty!

I also have been making alot of homemade fries. Now the fries in the photo are all potatoe fries, as I was running short on time at noon. But a great way to add some variety with nutrients and veggies is to chop up potatoes, sweet potatoes, and turnip into french fries, season with a dash of salt, mrs. Dash, and a Tbs or 2 of olive oil and bake at 400 until done! Yum!! Your kids will never know the difference, and I love the variety of tastes that you get!

Now I'm no Julia Childs, but I hope that this gives you a little idea of how you can add those things to your diet that your kids need, but don't necessarity love!

0 comments:

Post a Comment